Monday, January 12, 2009

Do you have a vision?

God often works through a vision - I am not referring to visions of future happenings although God could choose to work in that way. I am referring to a plan, a purpose, a dream, a goal.

In just a few short days this country will inaugurate the first multi-racial person as President. Regardless of your political persuasion this is a historic day in the life of this nation. It wasn't all that long ago that Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous "I have a dream speech." He could have said, "I have a vision." The terms are some what synonymous. Dr. King saw a day when this nation would judge a person by the "content of his character not the color of his skin." Unfortunately, that was a radical idea at the time and under the circumstances of that era. Has his dream been fully realized? The answer to that question is debatable but on January 20, 2009 this nation will take a significant leap forward in that regard. Dr. King set a vision in motion that continues today.

In the same way God works through vision. God gave a grand and radical vision to Noah ('build an ark'), Abraham ('go to a land that I will show You'), Nehemiah ('rebuild the walls'), David ('shepherd My people'), Daniel ('stand firm'), Ezekiel ('write of tomorrow'), Peter ('feed my sheep'), Paul ('preach where no man has preached'), so forth and so on.

Every follower of Christ has been given certain gifts and abilities that God expects and commands us to use for His glory and for His honor. God will give us a vision, a plan, a purpose, a goal that matches and flows out of those gifts He has given us. How has God burdened your heart? What vision has He given you that He wants you to work toward that will bring Him honor, build His Kingdom, and further His cause?

Maybe He wants you to start a new ministry within the local church, maybe He wants you to surrender to full-time missions, maybe He is calling you to vocational ministry, maybe He wants you to volunteer for a leadership position. Only you can know what God wants you to do but I know this to be true, God has a vision for each of us. Will you seek the will of God and find what He wants you to do for Him?

Cast your vision, dream your dream, set your goal and trust God to work in you and through you. As you seek God's vision for your life keep in mind that the vision He wants you to work toward is for His honor and His glory, not our own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been pondering over this message since you delivered it asking myself and God what am I passionate about, and I only came up burdened because the answer is that I simply don't know. But God is so good! As I continue to press forward in a Beth Moore bible study, Believing God, I was refreshed to find what pleased God so much about Enoch that he escaped death. It was simply that Enoch walked with God! Isn't that incredible? If I simply walk with God instead of worrying over what my goal or my purpose is God will be pleased! That is awesome! Thank you for challenging me and praise God that He will show me what He wants me to be passionate about if I just walk with Him!

Coach said...

Matt what's up bro? I've got a vision and I'm on board with you. Keep going hard for God. It's time we as a church would adopt the famous words of William Wallace and say "I'm going to pick a fight." Can't wait to see what 09' has in store for us.

Bo Lumpkin said...

We must remember that those around us my not have our vision. They may not support us in trying to reach our goals but that should not deter us from trying. The important thing is that we believe that God is directing us. That should cause us all to be passionate about what we are doing.